f

Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Jenny's Jacket

There's a college radio station here in Chicago that plays the old time radio programs on Saturday afternoon. I absolutely love the programs, especially the comedies. There are old Jack Benny shows, Fibber McGee and Molly, Our Miss Brooks, and one of my favorites during the holiday season, The Cinnamon Bear(I can be such a child!). I enjoy that program so much that it prompted my nephew to put together a CD package for me for Christmas a few years ago. As I started this post, I realized that I sound just like the old programs, "When we left you last week..." There will be no more continuing weekly saga for this jacket as I am determined to finish it this week as I want to wear it on Monday. Nothing better than an incentive to get something accomplished!! So.....  
I left you last week with the hem in my jacket and the neck facing made.
I had decided that button loops would make the best closure for my jacket so that meant I needed to find buttons. Rather than buy buttons, I decided to make Chinese Knots. I love how they look and I thought that they would make a nice accent to the pleats.
In order to make the knots I will use the same principle to make the loops, so I thought I would show you how I cover the cording to make the knots as well as the loops.
I like to use rattail cording in my loops. Begin by cutting a bias strip of your fashion fabric 1 1/4" wide.
Wrap the fabric around the cord and using a zipper foot, stitch down the fabric. Do not get the stitching line too close to the cord as you will not be able to turn the fabric. Be sure to use a smaller stitch as the stitching can pull out when you turn the fabric if the stitches are too large.
Trim down the seam allowance, but once again, be careful not to get too close to the stitching line.
I did not take a picture of this step, so I apologize, but hopefully my instructions will be clear. Before turning the fabric, slide the fabric down so the there as as much cord on the end as there is fabric to be turned. Look below and you can see that the end of the fabric must be stitched down. This will allow you to turn the fabric.
The turned cording below.
Below is a picture of what we will be making, a pretty little knot.
Begin by making a loop as you see below.
Now make another loop over the first loop.
Wrap the cording under the tail of the first loop.
Bring the end of the cording through the new loop that was made.
Now bring it under the original loop as you see below.
Over the top loop and under the the original loop.
We now have a spaghetti mess!!
Pull the 2 ends of the cording.
As you can see below, you will need to adjust the loops in order to have a neat little knot.
Adjust the loops.
The knot is finished and looks so pretty!
I will make 5 more knots that will continue down the front of my jacket.
Now that I have my knots made, I can determine the size of my loops. My next step will be to attach my loops and then sew in my facing.
So with a nod to my beloved radio programs, tune back in tomorrow for an update on my progress!!
If the process of making the knot is not clear, I would be happy to do a little video of the process. Just let me know.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

11 comments:

  1. Who's Jenny? Great idea with the knots.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, than is looking fabulous, Rhonda. I can't wait to see the jacket finished. That is a great tutorial on Chinese knots!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous, can't wait to see the end result.
    I am going to use the tutorial very soon, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I love the fitting that you have done. I imagine with the pleating up top, this jacket will look super nipped in the waist. Thanks for the tutorial on the Chinese knots!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Usually I need to untangle knots but these are beautiful. I'm off to think where I can use them. Thanks, as always

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your couture work is always inspiring. I love the pleating in the jacket and thank you for the Chinese knots tutorial. I may use them on my next kaftan.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That jacket is going to be stunning. Thanks for an awesome tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm Jenny. I love the tutorial on the Chinese Knots. I will most likely follow your instructions and use them on my "Jenny's Jacket," which I have cut out and the underlining basted on. Like you, I am working on too many projects at one time! Hope to get this one finished for Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So far I see no heroines tied to the train tracks- this is coming out fabulously!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is coming along beautifully. I usually make a second line of stitching not too far from the first before trimming and turning to try and prevent that 'fray' horror that sometimes happens.
    I can't wait to see the finished jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the Jenny Jacket. Excellent tutorial.

    ReplyDelete