f

Sunday, December 23, 2012

Sunday's Soup

An easy but rather special soup, really more of a stew, that I love to make is,
Spicy Seafood Soup With Linguine
The ingredients;
1/2 pound of linguine
2 tablespoons of olive oil
1 red bell pepper, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
1/2 of a large red onion, diced
1 pound of mushrooms, sliced
2 28 oz. cans of whole stewed plum tomatoes
1/2 teaspoon of sugar
1 cup of dry white wine
2 cups of vegetable or chicken broth
1 pound of small scallops
1 pound of cod
1 pound of shrimp
1 to 2 pounds of mussels, wash well
1 teaspoon of red pepper flakes
1/2 cup of fresh basil finely chopped
grated Parmesan cheese for serving

Cook linguine. Drain and toss with 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons of oil and saute vegetables for about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, sugar, broth and wine. Add more broth if needed to gain the desired consistancy of the soup. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer on low for about 30 minutes. Break up tomatoes. Return to a boil and add seafood.
The cod will break apart and become a part of the soup creating a wonderfully rich broth. Add salt and pepper to taste, red pepper flakes, basil and pasta. Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Discard any mussels that did not open.
To serve, sprinkle with cheese. Sit down and enjoy the aroma and taste!
The soup stores well. I made this on Friday night for guests. I sent a little home with a friend and I have just enough for tonight's dinner. Can't wait! This would be a wonderful soup for a stay at home New Year's dinner. I served my soup with french bread that I sliced and spread with some homemade pesto. Wrapped it in foil and heated it in a 425 degree oven for about 10 minutes. For dessert, I made Flan, a nice light little dessert.



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

6 comments:

  1. Sounds and looks delicious! Must give it a go...J

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been trying to think of something yummy for Devon and me to eat for Christmas (something with fish that is simple to make) and this might be it! Thanks, Rhonda!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like seafood, this is a wonderful dish. I love it. Make a salad to go with it and add some French bread...your good to go! Merry Christmas!

      Delete
  3. Yum! Thanks for sharing your recipe. Your oven temperature threw me for a moment until I realised you were working in fahreinheit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yummy thank you so much for the inspiration. I think I will give it a try when my allergic DH is on a dving trip. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

    ReplyDelete