f

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Sunday's Soup

I simply love cauliflower, however it is cooked. Recently, I was scrolling through Pinterest and I came across a soup called
Roasted Cauliflower and Aged White Cheddar Soup
If you like cauliflower, I STRONGLY encourage you to give this soup a try. It is wonderful.
When I went to the site to check out the recipe, I found out that the creator of this recipe is a guy named Kevin Lynch. He says, "I came to realize that my meals were boring and that I had been eating the same few dishes over and over again for years. It was time for a change! I now spend my free time searching for, creating and trying tasty new recipes in my closet sized kitchen." Well, this soup is a winner. You can check out his website and take a look at the array of cookbooks that he has written, as well as this recipe here, http://www.closetcooking.com/2012/02/roasted-cauliflower-and-aged-white.html
Here's the recipe. As you can see, it is quite easy to put together.
Ingredients
  • 1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
  • 2 tablespoons oil
  • salt and pepper to taste
  • 1 tablespoon oil
  • 1 medium onion, diced
  • 2 cloves garlic, chopped
  • 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
  • 3 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth or chicken stock *
  • 1 1/2 cups aged white cheddar, shredded
  • 1 cup milk or cream
  • salt and pepper to taste
Directions
  1. Toss the cauliflower florets in the oil along with the salt and pepper, arrange them in a single layer on a large baking sheet and roast in a preheated 400F oven until lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.
  2. Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat, add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes.
  3. Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.
  4. Add the broth, deglaze the pan, add the cauliflower, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.
  5. Puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency with a stick blender.
  6. Mix in the cheese, let it melt without bringing it to boil again.
  7. Mix in the milk, season with salt and pepper and remove from heat.

*Be sure to roast the cauliflower and don't skip that step. The roasting gives the soup a wonderfully rich taste. When it comes out of the oven it will be beautifully browned.
By the way, I did not use cream and quite honestly, I used skim milk. I couldn't be happier about how it tastes. I did add about an extra 1/2 cup of milk to get the soup to the consistency that I wanted. I also used vegetable broth rather than the chicken broth. Other than adding a little more milk, I made no other changes to the recipe. To serve the soup, I sprinkled just a bit of Thyme on top. 
Once again, if you like cauliflower...and cheese :), be sure to print off the recipe and give this soup a try. I know you won't be disappointed. 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

4 comments:

  1. Rhonda, this looks like a winner. It's two of my husband's favorite things, cauliflower and cheese. I just bookmarked this page on my computer. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your husband is going to be thrilled. It is REALLY good!!!

      Delete
  2. By the way, I was talking to Cennetta yesterday and I know you packed up the pillowcases yesterday. I finally just did mine, I know they're late. Do you still want them? If so, where am I mailing them? My email is yarngirl67@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete