f

Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Christmas Creatures/My Folk Art

For those of you who have been following the blog for some time, you know that there's a quirky little side to my personality ;) Once a year, I sit down and make what I call a Christmas Creature for my husband. It all began because I was a bit jealous of a ski ornament that an old girlfriend had given him. Each year I would give him a new ski themed ornament thinking that I just might trump the old, but never. When asked, he would always say that the old ornament was his favorite. Not because he had any ties to the old girlfriend, he simply liked the handmade, quirky aspect of the ornament. Once I finally realized what it was that he liked, I decided to give it a try and see if I could come up with something out of the ordinary. Below is the first little guy that I made, and I am quite pleased to say that the old ornament slips farther and farther down the favorite line. He needs a little work on his mustache. The mustache is made from seeds, and one side broke off. A simple fix.


Below is the group, minus this year's new addition. 
    

I'm always amazed by how they just seem to come to life. I actually feel that I don't do the creating. It's like the little creatures know what they want to be and I'm just there to put them all together.

Love this little mountain man with his horse chestnut seed backpack. 


This was last year's addition to the group, and I think my husband's favorite. Actually, his favorite seems to always be the new addition. 


If I had to pick a favorite, I think it would be this guy. I love his peach pit face and his acorn cap hat. And I really like how the pine cone snowshoes worked out. His walking poles are stems from a large leaf that I found.


I call these two, The Cousins, just two dudes sitting back on their skis with their stogies in their mouths, enjoying the trip down the mountain.


And now for this year's addition to the group.....
He's such a happy little guy!


The body/mouth is a huge horse chestnut seed pod that I found. The biggest I've ever seen. There are 3 seeds in the pod. I was afraid that the pod would open completely, but this was it, and so a mouth was born. 
His eyes are acorns, but I took the acorns out and turned them around so that he had bigger pupils. His feet are smaller horse chestnuts and his skis are milkweed seed pods.


His eyebrows are the same seed pods that I used last year to create the ears on the rabbit.


I really enjoy making the little creatures and seeing them come to life. They are truly one of a kind! 
Now, I'm no Picasso, or even a Grandma Moses, or any other famous artist for that matter, but it's something I never would have thought I had in me. I've always loved seeds and the pods that they grow in, as well as interesting rocks and shells. I'm forever picking up whatever it is that catches my eye. So, if there is something that you find interesting, lay it all out on a table and give it a look. You just might find an artist waiting to be born :)
Wishing you a wonderfully creative day!
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

23 comments:

  1. I absolutely adore these little personalities! Hilariously cute, and I love the story behind them.
    I collect interesting bits and pieces from the garden and on walks, and then they sit around until I decide I shouldn't be cluttering up the place, and end up tossing them! Thank you for the great ideas. Now I can see all kinds of little creatures forming from rocks and feathers and seed pods and moss.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ahhh, I am so happy that my little creatures have inspired you :)
      They are quite funny aren't they?!!

      Delete
  2. How cute. You obviously have a lot of fun making these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Vicki. I really do have a lot of fun with them. Every year after I've completed the new addition, I think that I won't be able to come up with a new idea, and then it just happens. Magic ;)

      Delete
  3. These put a smile on my face! So adorable and yes you can see the personalities in each and can almost hear their voices (yes that may sound
    strange, but I can). When you get the materials do you know immediately know
    what you are going to create or does it take you awhile to ponder? Have you thought of making a "Lil Bit"? You are one talented lady!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Diane :)
      I never know what they will be until I actually sit down and start putting them together. I have pieces that have inspired me, but no clear vision. Like I said, they just seem to come together of their own accord. I do have an idea for a dog, but more of a wiener dog. We'll see :)

      Delete
  4. Thank you for sharing these each year. They always make me smile. My boys saw them, as they walked by, and loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely adorable! What a great idea. I pick up things like you. Now I have an idea of what to do with some of them. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love them all but my favorite is the mountain man. I'm into seed pods and pine cones and collect them when I'm out walking.what a great way to use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I also make seed balls. I have a ball that I put together with acorns that I picked up at my aunt's house. The ball actually has the feel of a round antique penny rug. I usually pull my seed balls out in the fall. I'll have to remember to post them.

      Delete
  7. Those are so very cute!
    We get a lot of pods from magnolias, Liquid amber trees, and Oaks. The magnolia pods make nice stars on a wire frame, and the pods from Liquid amber and sycamores are round and useful for tiny, spiky wreaths, and fat bellies on little forest spirits. Happy New Year, Rhonda. :-) The snow shoe one is my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!
      Oh, I love magnolia seed pods, and I especially like the red seeds. Wish I could grow a magnolia tree here, but far too cold :(

      Delete
  8. What a collection of unique "people" from found objects! I also pick up interesting bits, not all organic. I display them around the kitchen. They have not yet spoken to me but I may need to give them a better chance. I think I will put some of them in close proximity to better hear their story.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :), I like that. Would love to hear what they have to say. It's usually a surprise, but s nice one.

      Delete
  9. Such a sweet collection (and so much nicer than the ex girlfriends, I'm sure!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The ex-girlfriend's ornament is made out of clothes pins, cute, but mine are better ;)

      Delete
  10. These are so cute. I love that they are made from found materials. Xx

    ReplyDelete
  11. These are so fun!! Your favorite is my favorite as well--I love his little face!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You really do see his personality, even with a peach pit face :)
      Happy New Year! Give your sweet pooch a kiss for me :)

      Delete