f

Sunday, December 6, 2015

Eating For Your Future/Sweet Potato and Chickpea Dip

In the spirit of the holidays, and my crazy sense of humor, I thought I would share this little cartoon. It made me laugh, but then, I enjoy corny jokes :)  
I absolutely love it when a recipe is shared with me. After I posted the roasted cauliflower wraps last week, Barbara from Vancouver sent me a recipe that she thought I would enjoy. 
Now that the holidays are upon us, it's difficult to resist all the creamy dips and high calorie hor d'oeuvres that we typically encounter, and serve at parties Not only is this a great recipe for dipping, it will make a wonderful spread for a healthy sandwich or wrap. And to be quite honest about it, it could be served hot as a side dish. So it's really quite versatile. Barbara said that Nigella Lawson, the Domestic Goddess, was recently in Vancouver and this recipe was posted to celebrate her new cookbook, Simply Nigella. The recipes are based on things that can be eaten out of a bowl, as Nigella says, "I rather like the inelegant shoveling of food into my mouth from a bowl." 
Sweet Potato and Chickpea Dip
- 1¾ pounds sweet potatoes 
- 1 head of garlic, whole and unpeeled 
- 2 limes, preferably unwaxed 
- 2 teaspoons smoked sea salt flakes (though regular sea salt flakes or kosher salt will do), or to taste
-  ½ teaspoon paprika 
- 1¼ cups chickpeas, home-cooked or drained from a can or jar 
- 1½-inch piece (2½ teaspoons) fresh ginger, peeled and finely grated 
- 2 tablespoons pomegranate seeds 
The minute the sweet potatoes are in the oven, cut the stalk end off the garlic, leaving the tips of the cloves exposed, and then wrap loosely in aluminum foil, sealing the ends tightly to form a baggy parcel, and roast with the sweet potatoes. This should probably be ready in 45 minutes, but I leave it for the hour with the sweet potatoes. 
Add the finely grated zest from both limes, and the juice from one, the smoked salt,  paprika, chickpeas, and finely grated ginger, and then blitz with a stick blender (or use a food processor) to make your dip
To serve, top with pomegranate seeds.
*A few notes;
Use a large bulb of garlic. Mine was a little small and it could have used a little more garlic.
I added a little black pepper.
I also added a little more lime juice. Just be careful, as some limes are a little juicier that others. Start with less and increase according to your taste.
The roasted garlic is heavenly.
This is great on vegetables, crackers, or chips. There's no oil or fat in the dish, so you can indulge and never feel guilty. 
For a sandwich, get some really great bread, spread the dip on a slice. Top the spread with your favorite greens and enjoy. 
The lime, ginger and pomegranate seeds make for a taste explosion. Based on this recipe, I think I'll be buying the book! 
Enjoy!
Rhonda



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

7 comments:

  1. Did you know Rhonda, that you can take the liquid from drained chick peas and whip it up like egg yolks? A vegan egg white! You can find anything on the internet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did not know that, but it sounds interesting.

      Delete
  2. This sound fabulous. I am definitely going to make it and see myself enjoying this as a spread on some flatbread with veggies. Thanks, Rhonda.

    ReplyDelete
  3. and such a pretty dish as well as sounding delicious! a definite must try!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have the new Nigella cookbook and love it. I haven't tried this yet but the sweet potato Mac and cheese is fabulous. My family are verging on bored with it already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So glad to hear that someone I know loves the book. I have 2 of he other books and have enjoyed them, so I think this will make my third. Thanks so much!

      Delete