f

Sunday, October 30, 2016

Sunday's Soup

My favorite time of the year has arrived. I absolutely LOVE fall, the beautiful colors, the cool crisp temps, and the first fire of the season in the fireplace. For me, it's magical. 

I took Gracie out yesterday to one of our favorite places, the Heller Nature Center in Highland Park, IL. If you live in the Chicagoland area, I think the nature center is a wonderful place to visit. There are about 4 miles of easy hiking trails, and it makes for such a wonderful escape. It was our first trip to the nature center since saying goodbye to Little Bit. So our trip was a little bitter sweet. But, as we walked along, I couldn't help but think about the joy that this place brought to Little Bit.  

A few pictures from our walk;

The pond makes me want to go home and read a little from Emerson.


Such lovely trails that offer a mystical aspect to the walk.


A beautiful burst of color. Just as I started to take the picture, a bee flew into the flower. Look closely and you'll see him working away.


Now, truth be told, I love a bowl of soup any time of the year, but I especially enjoy soup now, it just warms the soul. At least my soul :) And what is better than coming home to the smell of a wonderful pot of soup? 

I especially enjoy making soups in my crockpot, and even better when they are kind of a dump everything in the pot and go on about your day kind of a recipe. This recipe from Pinch of Yum really popped out at me and I'm so glad it did. Not only is it easy to make, it tastes great and it's so very good for you. 

I followed the recipe exactly as written and I loved it. This is a soup that you can make up, enjoy, and then freeze in small batches for lunches or an easy dinner.  


As you can see, you literally throw everything into the crockpot.


Before adding the kale, the recipe instructs you to take out some of the soup and puree to add a creamy aspect to the soup. Don't skip this step. 


The pureed soup is added back to the pot, the kale and parsley added and given time to cook at bit more, and then the soup is ready to serve.


 I did add a little cayenne pepper my bowl of soup. Next time around, the only changes I would make is to add in the cayenne as well as a couple of bay leaves while the soup cooks. 

If you give the soup a try, I hope you enjoy it. I think it's the perfect recipe to kick off the fall weather :)

Enjoy,
Rhonda 



Share this PostPin ThisShare on TumblrShare on Google PlusEmail This

9 comments:

  1. Beautiful fall pictures, and what better to go with fall some homemade soup. I'm like you throw it all into a crockpot, and let it cook, plus the aroma through out the house.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The aroma is almost as important as the taste :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the lovely hike and soup! I've been doing that puree trick to nearly all my soups now. I like the thickness it provides without watering down the flavor. We had minestrone tonight and it looked a lot like your luscious soup.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Autumn too - actually I love every season, there's always something to look forward to.
    Thanks for the new recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just cooked the soup tonight (without crock pot, just somewhat less than 2 hours, since I used whole yellow peas) and enjoyed two plates just now. Beautiful! And the dash of vinegar made it into something special.
    Thank you so much for sharing the recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think 2 bowls says it all :) So happy you enjoyed it Sylvia!

      Delete
  5. Hi Rhonda,
    I made this soup today and it was a hit! I had some family visiting and everyone really enjoyed it. And there's enough leftover for an easy supper tomorrow, which is great.
    I love the autumn also!
    Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'' so happy 😊 Thanks for letting me know. Happy Autumn!

      Delete